|  Register
You are here : Government  >  City Clerk  >  Voter Registration FAQ's
Register to Vote!!!


Q: When and where may I register to vote?
A: You may register to vote at any time.  However you must be registered at least 30 days before an election in order to vote in it. 
You may register to vote at:

  • Any Secretary of State Office
  • Wayland City Clerk's Office
  • Allegan County Clerk's Office
  • Any Family Independence Agency or any related agencies providing services through FIA
  • Michigan Jobs Commission

Q: What should I do if I have moved or changed my name since the last election?
A: You must re-register with the Clerk of your new City or Township

Q: Can I hae an Absentee Ballot?
A: If you are a registered voter, you may vot absentee if any of the following apply:

  • You are 60 years of age
  • You expect to be absent from the community in which you live for the entire time the polls are open on Election Day
  • You are unable to go to the pools without the assistance of another person

Q: Where do I vote?
A: You vote in the City or Township in which you live.  If you do not know the location of your polling place, check with your City or Township Clerk.  If you live in the City of Wayland, your polling place is the Fire Station at 160 W. Superior Street.

Q: When are the polls open?
A: Michigan's pools are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day

Q: May I receive assistance when voting?
A: Any elector may request assistance with voting from the precinct board without any reason.  In such a case, two inspectors, one from each political party, will assist.  If you need hlep because you are blind disabled, or unable to read or write, you may ask anyone except your employer to assist you.  Help America Vote machines are now available that provide for electronic voting.

Q: Who may register to vote?
A: In order to register to vote, you must be:

  • A U.S. Citizen
  • At least 18 years of age by Election Day
  • A resident of Michigan
  • A resident of the City or Township in which you are applying to vote


Public Record

The City Clerk is responsible for keeping all public records, including proceedinsg of public meetings, such as the City Council, administering the Oath of Office to elected and appointed officials, and maintaining records of legal transactions such as agreements and contracts.